Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New York Crazy

I believe I have said it before, but I'll say it again. Everyone in New York is just a little bit... crazy. I'm realizing that I am kinda included it that general statement; especially if you look at me from a worldly perspective. Sometimes we just have to get into someone else’s skin and walk around a bit. (to kill a mockingbird)

Now that I have made a disclaimer that disclaims itself, I feel I am safe to move on.

Love keeps me alive, but snow makes me Happy. Something I noticed here, way back in September is that New Yorkers in general don't respond well to "bad weather". We would have 20 people come to church when It was kinda rainy... well we had a great party planned for the branch on Saturday, and Elder Lim and I had invited lots of investigators and committed a few "unlikely" less actives to come. But Friday night we get a call from president Erazo and he said that the party was canceled because it was going to snow on Saturday. Well he was right it did snow Saturday (not enough to cancel a party... but that’s how things go). It was a constant snow and by the time we went in for the night there was like a foot in the drifts (its windy here, so there are lots of drifts). The snow made me pretty happy. So instead of going to the party we took Jean (my favorite 16 year old in New York) out with us to look up less-actives. We got into a house and things went pretty well. Jean told me I had the gift of tongues, because apparently I sounded just like a Punjabi. (Which is weird cause I just remember speaking normally)

Well at one point we ran into the Spanish Elders and had a snowball fight it was great fun!.... until.... I heard yelling and crying. We looked over and saw a guy trying to get a girl to "just come back inside". She was screaming at him to go away, and I could tell it was going to go south. He grabbed her wrists and made some motion (I think a head butt), and suddenly she had blood all over the bottom side of her face. I started walking over instinctively and the other elders stopped me, I said "we cant just sit here!" so I called emergency and reported domestic violence on the street we were on, but the lady on the phone acted like she didn't even care or know what I was trying to tell her, and she took forever. I got off the line, but by this time to big guys had noticed what the guy had done so they walked up. The mad who had head-butted the girl said "What’s the problem" and put his hands in the air. That’s when the other guy punched him in the face and then kneed him in the stomach. Then the other guy held him while the man who leveled the abuser wound up for a field goal kick to the head. :S

Afterward Elder Torrez (Hatch's native comp from Puerto Rico)was really effected and cried cause of what that guy did to the girl. Luckily she ran away when the two big guys defended her.

From this story I learned a few things. 1. I am probably to brave for my own good 2. That Puerto Ricans are really soft hearted and respectful 3. 911 isn't very helpful in New York and 4. I felt guilty for not doing more... but there was nothing more I could have done or should have done. Also 5. I’m really glad there are people that defend womanhood still.

OK well, I got to go. But just know that I am doing well and looking forward to calling you all soon! Also, we have a baptism commit for next week. She has been committed before, but she is for sure now. When we committed her she said "what do I wear? Should I bring a towel!?" ha-ha-ha.
I love you all! Bye!
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment