Friday, September 2, 2011

Independence Day

Newt was baptized yesterday. Fitting I believe. Some of her friends and acquaintances believe she has given in to bondage, but we know she has broken free of bondage. Independence comes when we have agency. Our agency is limited by habits and addictions and the ways of the world. Doing what’s cool isn't always what’s right, and doing what’s right is usually not what’s cool. Newt amazes me with her determination. Her determination and desire are allowing her to develop her faith. Her faith is helping her to repent and to make covenants with God. As she keeps those covenants she will be blessed with spiritual power. She has made some really good decisions and I know that as she keeps her commitments her life will be blessed; its only up from here. There will be hard times in her life, just like anyone, but the companionship of the Holy Ghost (which she will get on Sunday) and the confidence and hope that she is worthy and in good standing with her Heavenly Father will help her be strong enough to bear her burdens and be an example to those around her. "Putteth off the natural man and become a saint" (paraphrased).

Anyway, the baptism was very smooth. Newt was nervous, which made me even more nervous than normal, but it was one of the easiest dunks ever. Ha-ha. When she came out she looked at me and said "That’s it?" with one of those frown smiles that says "hey how about that!? Ha-ha". "Then I said yeah, easy right?".

Newt seemed lighter and cleaner and clearer and happier afterwards. She still has a lot to learn, but baptism of course it just a step onto the long pathway of conversion that leads back to our Heavenly Father.

Most of this last week was spent preparing Newt for her baptism. The other elders pulled a mean prank on me though (by newts request) that made me look like a fool! Ha-ha. They called up after her baptismal interview and said that newt wasn't ready and that she mentioned me a lot and that she was kind of obsessed with me. I just accepted it, and said something like, "well we knew that already right!?" and Newt was listening. :( I heard her say "Hey!" in the background and the elders laughing. They told me they were still at her house.
I had them put Newt on and I said, "Hey Newt?"
She responded, "Yeah?"
"You are kind of obsessed with me." and she said sheepishly,
"I know...." It was funny. I then said I was sorry and she expressed her sadness with our "lack of faith in her" and then we agreed we were on even grounds again. Ha-ha. We do have faith in her. She has come really far, and she has helped our testimonies grow too.

I am so thankful for this experience in my life and that I was able to teach Newt with Elder Crabtree in this my final transfer. We will continue to help her come closer to her savior and Father in Heaven by teaching her and helping her make and keep commitments.

Hopefully we will be able to help a 9 year old girl named Tessa get baptized before I come home. I'll let you know how things go.

I don't remember if I told you about Jane or not, but she came to church. She was a little uncomfortable, but liked it. I was really frustrated because we introduced her to tons of people before sacrament started and even let people know days before that she would be coming and asked them to fellowship her. When we saw that she was sitting by herself I asked a member to "help her feel at home" and that member sat on the opposite side of the room. :( I guess I should have been more specific, "will you sit with Jane and answer her questions and fellowship her?"... Lesson learned. We will meet with her again on Friday, this time we should be going with the members that we have picked for her fellowshippers. I hope she gives church another shot, and stays for Relief Society, It just what she needs.

Well, I love you! Thanks for all the support and prayers you send my way. I'll see many of you soon (in two weeks as of tomorrow).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NOAH (on the 7th) AND KYLE (on the 5th)!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment