Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I Like Yellow Snow

OK, OK, OK... bad joke.... but I had to. Both my Christmas' have been with Koreans! Ha-ha.

My new companion is Elder Soo Huyn Jeong. Basically he is the nicest guy you could ever meet (and not cause he has to be, but because he is sincerely nice and wise. He really knows what’s important in life and in the mission). You can tell English is his second language and we sometimes misunderstand each other but its funny how we have better communication that all most all of my white English speaking companions. Ha-ha. I believe I would be content with him the rest of my mission... but the story of my life... he is leaving me. I completely understand why however. I don't know if you recall or not but there was an elder who was going home last May when I got transferred from Plainview because his mom was dying. Elder Khang was going to have to go into the Korean program but then the elder he was replacing decided to stay. Well I am now companions with that elder who stayed. He has been in the English program 2 transfers now (both in Huntington my new area). Well, His sister called him and told him that she doesn't think their Mom (and only parent) will make it longer than a month. The doctors give her 1 to 2 months. Elder Jeong's Mom has Stomach cancer, it has spread all throughout her whole inside. I can tell its really hard for Elder Jeong even though he is not sad because he knows that is what happens on this earth life. He knows she will not have any pain if she passes. He said, "People would think I was weird if they heard me say this but I hope my mom will die on time." This is the case because he is from South Korea and if he goes back to Korea he only has 10 days otherwise his visa will expire and he will not be able to come back and finish his mission like he wants to. He would come home with me to Utah in July if he is able to return to the mission (because this is where his sister lives. Plus he wants to go to Utah for school). Please pray for my companion and his mom. It looks like what will happen is my companion will go to Korea Jan 18th, but he wants to come back and finish his commitment. He deserves only the best in this situation. He has such a good heart.

Huntington is pretty cool. I am in a Branch and there is only about 50 or 60 people. Its English and Spanish combined. The branch leadership is awesome! I'm short on time so I’ll have to talk more about it later.

It snowed yesterday enough for us not to be able to use the cars and for the libraries to close which is why I’m emailing today. All we did yesterday was shovel the snow at our home/landlords driveway. It was huge. I am sore. We have some cool investigators and we've already had multiple spiritual experiences. Also today at Dunkin’ Doughnuts in Plainview (we are here because we had president interviews today) we met a cool guy named Khan. He is Muslim but only practices because it was what his parents raised him to be. He seems very willing to talk to us. It was funny cause he came over to us and just sat there staring at us like he expected us to recognize him. I asked if he knew other missionaries but he had no idea... ha-ha! I guess he was just following promptings and then we had a nice conversation about how truth comes from God and spiritual experiences only come through the spirit and talking with god, not book smarts. We will meet him tomorrow at our second floor of a library church! Ha-ha, because he lives in our area! Miracles happen! Thank you Branch president’s wife for Dunkin’ Doughnuts gift certificates! :)

Love you!

-Elder Samuel Austin Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment