Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Suprisa de espanol

The week started with a really fun P-day of Buffalo Wild Wings and nerf wars in the church gym, but then Tuesday was a trunkie day. I took elder Ledbetter to the mission office so he could go home. Well It was a nice last time with him, and I’ll really miss him. It will be hard to see someone who lives in Arkansas after the mission, but hopefully I'll be able to keep in touch over email or Facebook or something when I get home. I learned a lot from elder Ledbetter - I think some of the things he might say he learned from me I would say I learned from him. Ha-ha. He was a great help to me. Anyway...

So because Elder Vogt (Riverhead elder) and Ledbetter (zone leader) went home we were two elders short. So my companion Elder Moyers went to Riverhead (by the Ap's orders) to be with Elder Aldridge and I became Elder Paulson's companion. So this week we worked two pools, the Spanish speaking and the English speaking. I ended up praying in Spanish a few times (I’ve never done that before) I was pretty surprised. It turns out entiendo mas que hablo. I understand better when its in a lesson setting when we are with only one person. At church and the ward activities I didn't understand much at all. Well, of course if i was going to be in the Spanish program I would have to suffer all that comes with that call, namely multiple dinner appointments in a row. I'll tell you I am happy I only threw-up once and it was mostly water and none of the meal.
We had a huge lunch at the senior couples place in Riverhead after CDM and then before I was hungry again we went to a Spanish lady's house named Silvia (Actually friends with Judy) and It was an entire plate full a few inches high plus thick drink and desert (which I couldn't eat cause I was stuffed and asked to take it home). Well, right after that we were on our way to the Dyber’s to meet with Judy and eat with all of them... and sister Dyber called us and told us that it was Lasagna and it was home made. And that she had stayed up until 2 in the morning the night before to make it! and that the other people she had invited couldn't come any more so there was lots extra for us. We pulled over and cried. Well we were able to stall them an hour before eating by teaching Judy first. Even with the extra time we couldn't do it. Between distracting them, and praising them about how good it was and asking to take some home and elder Paulson’s heroic act of a small second helping (a blessing from the lord)... we made it. i took Judy's plate to the kitchen for seconds and that's when it happened. I spewed all over the blinds and the sink! Luckily I had time to clean it up without her knowing because I had asked her to play the piano for us! :) It was a good thing I made some extra room though cause then they gave us Ice cream cake. Paulson and I were blessed with a time constraint and so she obliged to only give us half slices. Wouldn't it be nice if a missionary could choose what and when and how much of something he ate? Well, that will never happen, especially in the Spanish program.

We were able to teach Judy a good lesson. She said an amazing prayer. I was really happy about it because the nature of her prayers have completely transformed. Well she has agreed to be baptized, but a date has not been set yet. Too bad I couldn't witness it... But all will be well.

Elder Paulson and I had a lot of fun and got a long really well. I'm glad we were companions for a week. I could have been with him a lot longer than that.

Well the plan was (i thought and guessed) that once the new transfer started that we'd get the new elders and Moyers and I would be together again for another transfer in Terryville. I was wrong. I was surprised too. Saturday I learned that I am out. So it looks like my track record will stay consistent. I've never been in an area longer than 3 transfers. It sounds like I'll be heading back out to the city because they didn't tell me not to take my bags to Rego for the transfer meeting. Its possible that I still go somewhere in Nassau, but i don't feel it is as likely. Most people have guessed pretty consistently and almost as prophetically as when everyone was telling me I'd go out to the Island. I let you know what ends up happening. Here is the saddest part about leaving though: the timing. 4 days before Christmas I get transferred! So unless I go to an old area, I’ll be at a strangers house for Christmas. To make things more complicated and scary is the whole Linda Lang situation.

I went and visited Linda and Lenny and Mary last night..... All they could talk about was how excited they were for Christmas eve and how she had hired caterers and how it was going to be a big seafood dinner and there is going to be a ton of food. She is expecting so much food she wants me to try to persuade elders to come to her house and forsake whatever plans they may have. Well its not much of a sacrifice because Lind, Lenny, and Mary are 3 of the coolest people on the planet and the food is going to be delicious.... but I WONT BE HERE. I didn't have it in my heart to tell her. I couldn't do it. She really might have died on the spot if I did. I couldn't even get a picture cause when I asked for one she just said, "oh just take it Christmas Eve!" :S

Well, I've got plans in the making to somehow pull off a Christmas miracle and show up at her house at 5 Christmas eve with 6 elders. Hopefully President will allow the plans and hopefully whoever my new companion is will be cool enough to accept and do it instead of what will already be planned. :S major dilemma. If I am in Brooklyn or Staten there will really be no way. Queens will push it but not as far. Pray for me, and pray for Linda.

It’s odd, last week I felt as if my mission here was not complete and I owed the lord and president and myself and elder Moyers another 6 weeks here in Terryville... But things just never seem to work out the way we think they will. I wasn't really able to say goodbye to everyone either because we left early from church so we could attend the Spanish branch (for Paulson’s pool).

Besides the complication of the Linda Lang thing and my feelings of wanting to have taught more with Moyers, I feel ready for a change. I know wherever the lord has me go is where I am supposed to be. This Is the lords work, I am privileged to be apart of it although I am just little ol' Sammy.
--
-Elder Samuel Austin Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment