Monday, May 24, 2010

It was Short Lived‏

Well, much happened this week. It turns out we really were getting blinded out, so Elder Khang (who I was too hard on in my emails last week) and I prepared many things for the next elders (cause we found out 4 elders were replacing us). It made it feel kinda good that they needed 4 to do what just we 2 were doing. haha. Well, we also had Zone Conference with M. T. Ringwood of the Seventy this Friday. On Thursday he did a fireside for the Plainview stake. Much of this week we just focused on preparing for our departure, but somehow we still got 13 lessons. So that was nice that we got that without really trying.

Sunday: Sunday Elder Khang and I were preparing for our musical number that we would perform in sacrament when all of a sudden the phone rings. It was president. He told Khang that the elder he was going to be flushing and replacing in the Korean program decided not to go home any more (his mom is passing and he was going to go be with her... but changed his mind last minute to stay in the mission.) Elder Khang was speechless (unlike his intense, colorful, and argumentative interview with President after zone conference on Friday), he told President "I don't know what to say, I had kind of accepted this thing (meaning leaving Plainview)". So when all is said and done, the person we were least expecting to leave (me), is leaving Plainview and Kang who has been here for 4 transfers will be dying here: funny how things work.

Here is how I feel: sad, nervous, yet full of trust in the Lord that this is his will and comfort that I'll be ok. This is the first place I have really felt like I was trusted and loved. The members here are so great. I love the area. I didn't like it when I first got here, but now I realize it’s my favorite. Let me tell you, the nice apartment was a nice bonus too. I got a bunch of pictures though with the youth and members. I also got pictures with Darnell and Nikita. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures with the crazy people here in this area. Oh well.

The members really made me feel good. They all said that they are going to "pray me back". Brother Guinn the ward mission leader said that he really, really liked me in a note and that he really liked how I wasn't afraid to be myself and that I am an excellent teacher. That made me feel good, cause being myself is something I have had a hard time with on my mission. It’s always good to hear that you are "excellent" at anything too... so that was a double plus. Many members said they know I’ll be back. I think they are right.

A guy yelling at the help desk just broke my train of thought....

Umm.... anyway.... I'm gonna miss it here. The work is slow here, but the people are so strong and genuine; I told the singles in my departing testimony to them in elder’s quorum. I almost cried because I felt the spirit pretty good. The out-of-towners knew I was telling them to be less judgmental and more like these great native Long Islanders. (They had just made fun of one of our strongest members and looked down on him cause he wears jeans to church instead of slacks. They don't know his heart though. He is more active than them, and for the right reasons.)

This week we couldn't resist any longer and took the car to pep-boys. We still don't trust them.... but it was timed perfectly because we talked to 3 different people who to me seemed prepared. Unfortunately we didn't get their info, but we gave them ours. I know they will at least remember the positive experience they had talking with us. :)

We also had a very successful Wednesday night with our splits. I went with Dave Persons, the man! We saw a recent convert family from WA state. It was awesome, we related well and I know they felt fellow-shipped and appreciated the visit. While that happened with me, Nikita was telling Bro. Guinn and Elder Khang that she knows the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph smith was a true prophet. Ha-ha! :) Then they came to church again! 2 weeks in a row baby! I love them. They told me they were sad I was leaving cause I was "more fun -- funnier!" than Khang. Darnell said Khang loosened up a lot being with me. :) Cool right. :) But I am glad at least one of us is staying, cause that will make the transition of elders easier. I really hope they continue coming. The Next elders will have a freebee with Nikita. We put in all the hard work so they can baptize her without any relationship. pfft. Oh well. Ha-ha. All I really care is that it happens. :)

As far as our other investigators, we were not able to see them this week! 8|

Umur, is so amazing. He said good bye to me and shook my hand heartily and looked into me with more sincerity then anyone had ever before done in my life (more than those who have said "I love you") and told me if I ever needed anything I could give him a call and he would take care of it. I imagined the possibilities and was almost scared! Ha-ha! I feel like with him I have a righteous mob boss as a friend. I am so glad I met him. He has made my life better and my perception broaden.

I love you all but have to go!
-Elder Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment