Monday, November 22, 2010

Life goes on with or without us

Hey friends and family. Just so you know this week I didn't struggle so badly. Elder Moyers and I are beginning to become more united and get to know each other better. We talk more now than we did before. We teach pretty well together I would say, which surprises me because of our situation but I know it is because we are following the spirit. I have thought of something I needed to say to someone and then he said it. Often while I am teaching Moyers will nod his head like, "yeah! That’s what I was thinking!"

I have learned a lot from Elder Moyers already and I hope he can say the same thing. Hopefully I have more impact on him in a positive way then in a negative way. I could imagine why he would think I am crazy or not the perfect example of a missionary.

Well its funny to me that this week we taught the average amount of lessons I taught a week with Elder Kiser... I feel like with Moyers we struggle to know how to schedule our day. With Elder Kiser it was difficult some days to plan our next day, but not as bad. I've been disappointed lately because we have gotten home late and then had extremely long planning sessions! Basically I get no wind down time cause once we are finished planning I've got 5 min to get to bed, ugh. We have made it a goal to do better about keeping our planning concise. I think it will be a lot easier when we finish the project we are working on of making a book of maps with all our members and contacts on it for each area. That way all we have to do is say "Where do we want to work tomorrow?" and then one of us will say, "Nesconset!" and the other will say "OK, sounds good. Here is a list of people... lets schedule them in for before lunch!" etc. :)

Well we started a new thing. We are going to be attending the ward members Family Home Evenings. We will either participate in the lesson or share a lesson with the family and maybe a game or something. This way we are getting more time with the members so we can build trust with them. We will also help them to take the next step in their family’s missionary work. This doesn't mean asking for referrals, that's like opening up the goose to try to get the golden eggs inside only to find there are none and you have killed the goose! If the members trust us then they will introduce their friends and family to us. What we will help them do is teach them ways they can be good neighbors (by helping them rake their neighbor’s leaves with them) or helping them think of ways they could invite their friends to activities or family bbq's, or how to share a testimony with a colleague. Or how to help the kids prepare for missions etc. Its not about numbers, its about love. Our examples as members and our friendships (not dependent on whether or not our friends join the church) can mean more than anything. When our friends and family know we love them and just want to help and will still love them even if they don't accept our message they will probably be more willing to listen the next time they get some missionaries knocking on the door. Ha-ha.

We had an amazing miracle night last Monday with Judy. We ate dinner at the Dyber’s and Sister McGibney was there as well and Judy came too. Well the spirit was super strong and everyone was testifying and Judy ended up getting a blessing and we sang a hymn and the words "I feel terrific" came from her mouth. Wow. I've never heard her say anything of that manner. The best think I've ever heard is "I'm OK" and usually It’s "Terrible, just terrible". Well I was convenced she was going to accept a baptismal date with the way she skipped to the car afterward. She has an amazing support system at church that extends beyond church friend status. She comes to church every week anyway... so it just seemed like this week she would tell us she wants to be baptized. Well she didn't. But Its still a miracle that she is happier and lighter. Baby steps are good when they are made in the right direction. Also, last Monday Grace called me. It was so nice to hear her voice. We talked and I was relieved to find out she still has a testimony and knows what she needs to do to be happy. She knows she needs to keep reading the scriptures and find a way to church. So this week I tried to get many members involved to try to contact her. She has been hard to contact especially cause she works in Riverhead and doesn't want people to stop by the house cause her sister-in-law that she lives with doesn't know she is a member and doesn't think she would respond to well to the fact.

Most of the work has been look ups of less active members and tracting, but we were able to contact a media referral this week! Woot! She is an amazing Jamaican lady who was referred to us by the LA temple visitor’s center. Her name is Parlin Johns and she is an international new born Nanny! Ha-ha. She goes all over the world for months at a time to take care of new borns. She gets literally piles of requests sent to her. She was awesome and so accepting of the message. Unfortunately she didn't make it to church but she was very sincere about reading the book of Mormon and knew what she had to do to find out if it was true. She told us she would keep us updated and wants to really know because she really wants to go to the temple. :) She couldn't make any appointments with us because she never knows when she has to leave the state, but told us to come by anytime she was home. So that was pretty cool. :D

The fall colors are starting to be scarce. Many of the trees are bare now. There were so many pretty colors, there are still a few trees that are vivid, but mostly brown now or fallen. We helped rake Sister Mcgibney’s lawn and it took a few hours with 6 of us plus her. We bagged over 100 bags and put them on the street! Ha-ha. There are still more leaves to fall, but thankfully for her not much more. We made a huge pile and jumped in it. Ha-ha. I filmed it so you all can see it later. Also pictures by the bags piled; I've never seen so many. And we packed them tight too, especially me! I sat on mine and/or got inside and stomped around while more went in. Ha-ha. It was fun. :)

Well, Imma hop now.
Love,
-Elder Samuel Austin Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment