Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Be Ye as a Little Child‏

And the rain came down and the floods came up and the wind blew hard and the trees and telephone poles came down! But the missionaries in the Mazda stood still.... sort of... I guess we were going about 40 mph.

So, the guy next to me at the library just got on the computer and said the F word a couple times in frustration about the speed of the computer and then left. Poor guy, slow computers are not fun. But honestly I think he was over reacting, because the computers are pretty fast. Also, the new guy next to me is having no problem. It just goes to show that your attitude makes a big difference in your happiness. If you look for the bad in other and in the world, you are guaranteed to find it. In fact it’s really easy. But as you try your hardest to evaluate and adjust your attitude everyday to try to become more inline with the way the savior would have you be, life will be better. You will always have trials, but if you see them in the right light they will start looking more like opportunities. In my horribly socially awkward state that I now find myself in, I take a step back and laugh at myself. I know that "this too shall pass", and if I "endure it well" I will have countless blessings. I really hope that some of the blessings I have received are spilling over to all of you. I hope that maybe in some ways I've helped each of you some how from a distance. If not, know that I am trying to do what I can so that will happen. I realize just a little bit more everyday that seeing others happy and seeing others make righteous decisions and have success is very pleasing and fulfilling for me. I love to hear about all that's going on with all of you, I really like feeling like I'm still all your friends and apart of the family.

So, we had 7 investigators at church this week; sweet huh!? Two of them are under 18 and want to get baptized but their parents won’t let them... yet they like us coming over and teaching them. I don't get it. This is only their second time coming to church because their parents always make it extremely difficult to get to church. We had a member pick them up this time, but that can't continue for ever. :( The other investigator is an 11 year old girl... she came to church but it seemed more like her dad just wanted a baby sitter and that's why she was able to come to church. :( At least she was in the right place at the right time. Our other Investigator was Larry; he is in his late 60s. I don't know if I told you last time or not, but he came to church last week and this week. Before I came he got to a point where he said he never wanted to come to our church ever again and that he would never get baptized and that he didn't want to be taught by the missionaries any more. But that has seemed to flip almost 180 since I've been here (not that it has anything to do with me). He knows that the things we say are true, but he doesn't quite understand yet the urgency there is. "Do not procrastinate the day of your repentance!". We tried to get him to set a date for baptism and he got a little flustered as to why it needed to be soon. We explained, and he calmed down... but then he said "ok, if I need to set a date, here it is: a year from now." LOL. So, he's gonna get baptized, just not soon. Anyway, he has come to church and even stayed for class, he asks really great complicated questions that get people defensive, which makes for an interesting gospel principals class, :D, but he means no harm. I think he is realizing things now; he just still wants to hold on to his ways (which are not bad, just not best).

The other investigators were 2 permigators and a really cool 20 year old guy who brought his less active friend back to church so he could learn about the truth! He isn't being taught by us, but I don't want there to be too many cooks in the kitchen. Don't fix something that’s not broken, I guess. But we helped him during church and explained things and fellowshipped him. When he is baptized he will attend the singles branch we cover.

Elder Khang and I are getting along pretty well. I feel kinda like a peace maker though cause he didn't like my last companion. I think he is getting over that. We have made a bunch of meals together, which is what I expected the mission to be like, so I like that. We have a duet going with me playing the recorder and him playing the ocarina. We made an arrangement of come thou fount of every blessing and all creatures of our God and King. It sounds pretty cool. I still am not super with the recorder but I'm learning quickly! :)

We had CDM and former Aps teach us workshops and also I've had good personal studies lately as well as good talks at church so I have lots of really good notes! I don't have time to share them with you though, sorry :) maybe another time or maybe in some of your personal letters. Ha-ha.

Ok. Peace out! Love, Elder Sam Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment