Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Thankful for Punjabis‏

Dason, our baptismal commit, is more like another investigator now. His wife (sister ram, a pretty active member) called us up Sunday and said, "He goes to his church.", so solid, but yet so mysterious. Kinda like a big oak door on a big scary haunted house.

Interestingly enough, Zorina (a Punjabi), an old lady from Guyana who is a former who has had 2 baptismal dates, came to church, making her a progressing investigator. The funny part was, we were thinking about dropping her because we kinda felt like she had a mental disability and wasn't really all that interested anyway. God has different plans I guess; seems to always be that way.

It’s kinda weird to me how you can feel the spirit so strong with someone, and they tell you about a really spiritual experience where they received a conformation after prayer.... and then they turn around and act like they don't know you.

I had a lot of cool experiences where the spirit guided my words and feet this week. Just with deciding to go certain ways, or walk instead of take the buss, and then we ran into less actives or fearless great people. Also, two men, Jay and Vinny, asked us to exorcise their apartment; basically. Elder Gourdin told me after that appointment that he felt like the junior companion in it. Ha-ha-ha. Some of you know why others don't. But, apparently there is still a problem. Gourdin feels it is one of Jay's family members wanting there work to get done, so they want him to join the church. I like that theory, so we are going to encourage him to become a member and do his families work to solve the problem. :)

Mark (a Punjabi) a member of the branch is the funniest person ever. and not because he means to be. I can't even explain it.... but I am glad I know him. "Sir!!! I would like it if someone could make me a big chicken for the holidays" right in the middle of 5th Sunday 3rd hr. ha-ha-ha. "Straight up!" as I give him stones and say good job. :)

For Thanksgiving we spent the evening at Sister Sookrams (a Punjabi). The people in attendance were: me, Elder Gourdin, Dannielle (Sookrams' 19 year old Punjabi daughter), Sister Springer (the cutest old lady from Guyana you shall ever meet), and Sister Sookrams' sister (a Punjabi, but a Hindu first. Ha-ha.). It was great; there was actually turkey and potatoes and carrots believe it or not. There was also rice and roti and curry. That was the first roti I have ever had. It was great. We talked about everything from what we are thankful for to college to Oprah to gays and blacks; at the same time we watched home a lone twice and some Charlie Brown.

The Murrays (Punjabi part-member family): the girls (10, 11, 14 years old), all really like to feel my hair. The oldest asked us what we wanted for Christmas. :) Ha-ha-ha.

This week we almost got 20 lessons! It was great. (I know what your thinking, "your in NY and you don't have over 20 lessons!". give us a break ok, this was a good week for us.) We hope to end the transfer strong. This is week 6, or in NY-NYCS mission slang "P-week". Gourdin and I don't want it to be p-week; we want to get more than 20 lessons instead.

Does someone want to get me the DSM iv or DSM v for Christmas? (A book on psychosis of people--there are a lot of crazy but nice people here; that way, I could know how to talk to them.) That would rock. :)

Sometimes I think the members don't like me here.

I wonder if I will get transferred or if I will stay in Richmond Hill... :s

What do y'all want for Christmas?
I would like a large honest spoonful of love in long letters. Let no man feel obligated to write me, and if he does, let that man not fret, but instead not write. :)

Anyway, I sure do miss all the Jews from Bushwick, but I sure am thankful for Punjabis. I miss Elder Singh.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment