Monday, September 21, 2009

Labor Day and 911 in Brooklyn

Email from Sam Sept 13th, 2009

So there it is, my first transfer is over. (a transfer is 6 weeks. at the end of each transfer you may or may not move and change companions) I will be staying with my new companion, we will probably be moving into that new pad I told you all about on Thursday the soonest. I would love to say that I finished off my first transfer strong, but I can't. :( It was a very rough week. between no one being out on Labor Day, me going on exchanges with the Spanish elders Tuesday, p-day being in the middle of the week, Thursday being planning and having no appointments, Friday being combined district meeting and having no appointments (besides a dinner appointment), and the ridiculous "p-dub"ness in the pad this week, nothing was accomplished. I was the only elder in the pad that got up before 7 everyday this week. I was the only one who tried to make it to bed on time the whole week. It’s really hard to focus and do what you are supposed to when you are basically the only one doing it. On Saturday I kinda just fell asleep on the floor because I was the only one up and it was hard to read scriptures when I was so tired from everyone staying up late making noise. Elder Black compared me to Nephi of old because I’m trying to do what’s right but my older brothers (elders) are being bad examples. Don’t get me wrong, I have learned a lot from these elders, I love them! But this week truly was embracing. Orr said we are starting off this transfer strong. I am going to hold him to it.

Our investigator Shakora has been making up excuses why she can't see us or come to church. We are thinking we have to just drop her and wait for her to attempt to come to us... because we are wasting our time trying to go over all the time just to have her not answer the door or not answer her phone. It makes me really sad because she was so solid; she had a baptism date and everything.

Brittany is still really solid... however she is not committed now. She is gonna need more time than we thought before she gets baptized. So we went from 3 baptism dates to 0.

Thanks for the underwear stretching instructions.

No, I didn't go to the US Open. My comp went with another companion. We made exchanges that day. The reason why is because my comp and Elder Haggered bought tickets. Elder black and I did not. So for that day we switched companions. Yeah... the tickets were $140 each. Plus they got souvenirs. That made me feel a little better about getting something that will last me a long time for 100. The violin is really nice! I was surprised! It came with a really nice case, rosin, a bow, and a tuner. They said if you spent $100 it would be free shipping, other wise it was almost $30 for shipping, so I got nice (replacement) strings. Basically I got really nice $28 strings for $8 if you pretend that I prayed for shipping. So that’s what I did. I actually picked it up faster than I thought I would... I played a hymn sight reading yesterday on it. I'm not good though. I really hope the Lord qualifies me so that I can be useful to his plan for me with this (basically heaven gifted) violin. Otherwise I will feel selfish. Cause the plan was for SammyTells to pay for the mission! Not souvenirs. I don't want to waste precious donations that I really don't deserve in the first place.

Thanks for the advice on the violin. (Advise from mom: Sometimes we are prompted to do things and it isn't until later we really realize why the prompting was so important. The violin is a good example. Listen to your promptings and don't second guess them.)

Anyway, I named the violin Bushwick Baby. It really is very nice. It will be great to learn on. I really did get an unheard of deal. It feels like the Lord answered my prayer. I just feel almost though like I didn't want him to answer my prayer though. anyway. :)

I have a lot of cool and funny pictures to send you all! I will probably send them today. There is this awesome picture of me wearing Violeta's leather jacket (a Spanish member who is very small!) and I'm wet so my hair looks all greased and 50's sexy. That was Friday night. Friday night we went to Geraldo's house (A Spanish member who served a mission in Salt Lake City north) for a dinner appointment. Violeta is his little sister (she is 20... so not little in age just size... and she younger than him). We had amazingly yummy food. They are pretty much the nicest strongest members in Bushwick! They really treated us. When we were ending the DA we told them we were going to go to the Williamsburg Bridge to see the September 11th lights. so they said we will get a van! And they paid for us all to go together! it was super fun even though there were so many clouds that you couldn't see the tower lights. The city looked amazing! The clouds were along the top of all of Manhattan. It was very misty! Really it was Beautiful. For the first time being here I actually thought "I could live here" however it was with the accompanying thought "I would have to live in Williamsburg or Manhattan though. And I would have to be with my wife." I love the mountains and open space too much though to settle down in NY. I could only be here temporarily. It would be fun to visit. :)

ON the way home I put on Violeta's jacket and posed for the camera! I liked the look. Everyone was surprised as to how comfortable and good/natural I looked in it! Ha ha. They were like "Whoa, that’s probably the kind of stuff Morris wore at home!"

Anyway, I can't think of much else right now. I love you all. Thanks Scott and Jen for the pics of your cute baby! Thanks mom for keeping the blog updated.

As far as care packages... just send me anything that’s like homemade. I don't really need other stuff. I would love other stuff, probably not Jell-o unless its already made. lol. I just want mamma's cooking; things taste better when someone else made it with love.

-Love Elder Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment